a culture of service…
© 2014, Hardy Diagnostics,
all rights reserved
ardy’s AloeSafe was created for those that care about what comes in contact with their skin and demand the very best when it comes to their health.
- Estrogenic parabens
- Propylene glycol (antifreeze)
- Sticky glycerin
- Dyes and colorants
- Vitamin E for skin softening
- Aloe vera for soothing and healing
- Lavendar oil for a pleasant scent
- Alcohol for a 99.9% killing rate
* * *
Time to exercise the
muscle between your ears…
Why they are the best choice…
a short video about what the Adenna Miracle Glove will do for you.
a brochure describing the benefits.
a sample of the Miracle.
* * *
Pharyngitis is not just about Strep…
Looking for Arcanobacterium?
is also a well known cause of pharyngitis, just like Strep. Hardy’s biplate facilitates the recovery and identification of both Group A Strep and Arcaonbactium from throat cultures.
Think about it…
* If a tree falls on a mime in the woods, does anyone care?
* What makes teflon stick to the pan?
* Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?
* If cheese is made of milk, why is it yellow?
* Do Chinese mothers feed their babies with toothpicks?
* If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
* * *
To ensure your MicroBytes gets delivered reliably to your email address without getting blocked, please add our email address:
to your address book, trusted sender list, or contact list.
If you wish to unsubscribe, click on the SafeUnsubscribe link at the bottom of this page.
* * *
A year ago, Hardy Diagnostics became an employee-owned company. The common term for this is an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program). After a certain length of service, all employees become stockholders of the corporation.
At Hardy Diagnostics, you can expect us to act like we own the place…because we do!
Wisdom to ponder…
1822 ~ 1895
French scientist, who is known as “The Father of Microbiology.” He did original research on vaccinations, rabies, anthrax, cholera, puerperal fever, and wine and milk spoilage.
“Chance favors the prepared mind.”
“Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity.”
“It is in surmounting difficulties that makes heroes.”
“The universe is asymmetric and I am persuaded that life, as it is known to us, is a direct result of the asymmetry of the universe or of its indirect consequences.”
“Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world.”
“Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence.”
“One must work. I have done what I could.
Pasteur at work in his Paris laboratory.
* * * *
Want to receive the MicroBytes
Want to review past issues
Did you know?
- Is celebrating its 33rd year of serving microbiologists.
certified for the manufacture of medical devices to give you confidence in our products.
- Offers you its technical manual,
, which contains over 4,500 pages of information regarding microbiology.
- Services over 9,000 labs and maintains a worldwide network of over 40
message to the president
“Once during prohibition,
I was forced to live on
nothing but food and water”
~ W. C. Fields ~
“Ah, Mr. Bromley…how nice to put a face on a disease”
Can you acquire a CRE infection from an endoscopic procedure?
a recent outbreak that
involved 44 patients who received
an endoscopic procedure.
Can you connect all the dots by drawing no more
than four straight lines without lifting your pen?
Scroll to bottom for solution.
“Believe half of what you see
and none of what you hear.”
~ Marvin Gaye ~
Can bacteria tell time? When it comes to time of death, they might be able to in the near future.
Determining the time of death is one of the most common challenges facing forensic scientists. Many factors contribute to the variability in decay rate of remains, so observations in addition to the stage of decomposition must be considered in order to estimate this critical piece of information.
Additional evidence used includes easily visualized observations such as the presence of rigor mortis and insect infestation, while others are not as easy to see such as the temperature of the body and soon – the presence of microorganisms.
Both endogenous and environmental microbes play a large role in the breakdown of remains, and researchers have begun characterizing the types of microorganisms present throughout the different stages of decomposition to uncover any patterns of growth.
, and now
cadavers have been sampled for microbes throughout decomposition.
DNA was extracted from the samples taken at different stages and used to determine the type and abundance of microorganisms present by next generation DNA sequencing.
Bloat was the stage of decomposition on which these studies largely focused. During this stage, anaerobic microbes take over and produce gases within the body cavity, causing the expansion of the abdomen. The pressure buildup from these gases leads to a purging event which then re-exposes the internal body cavity to oxygen and changes the microbial profile once again.
All studies showed the presence of large
also found in smaller but significant numbers. Although these population types were common to all, variation was seen in abundance of these organisms among species and between cadavers.
Although there is much more work to do in order to create a useful tool for forensic scientists, the ability to see distinct bacterial communities emerge as decomposition progresses is a promising beginning to the possibility of microbes telling time.
* * * * *
Hardy’s CRITERION line of dehydrated culture media offers the microbiologist many advantages…
- Superior packaging
- Complete product line
- Mylar pre-weighed 2L pouches
- Wide mouth bottle to prevent dust formation when weighing
View the survey results.
Should the Federal
Minimum Wage be Raised?
The federal minimum wage required by law is currently $7.25 per hour and has been since 2009. However, many states have laws that vary from this. The green states above have a minimum wage higher than the federal one, while the blue states are the same, red states are lower, and the orange states have no minimum wage law.
What do you think….Is the Federal minimum wage law too high, too low, or just right?
The oldest athlete to be awarded a medal.
Winter Olympics Trivia
1. Which country has earned the most gold medals?
2. In what year was the first Winter Olympics? Where was it held?
3. There are only two countries south of the equator that have won medals. What are they?
4. What are the three cities in the United States that have hosted the Winter Olympics?
5. What event has been an Olympic sport for men since the start of the Winter Games and was opened to women in Sochi this year?
6. What are the four sports performed indoors?
7. Which three countries have won more medals in the winter than the summer olympics?
8. Who was the oldest athlete to win a medal in the winter Olympics?
A truly happy person
can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
* * *
a short video
to learn how easy it is
to order from Hardy on-line!
. Click. You’re Done!
* * *
Solution to Optical Oddities above:
Answers to the Winter Olympics Trivia:
1. Norway with 118 gold medals
2. 1924 in Chamonix, France
3. Australia and New Zealand
4. Lake Placid, NY in 1932 and 1980; Squaw Valley, CA in 1960; and Salt Lake City, UT in 2002.
5. Ski jump
6. Curling, Speed Skating, Figure skating, and Hockey
7. Norway, Liechtenstein, and Austria
8. The oldest man to receive a Winter Olympics medal is 86-year-old Anders Haugen. The Norwegian-American actually received his ski jump bronze medal 50 years after he competed in 1924 when a scoring error was discovered in 1974. He was the first American to win a medal at the Winter Olympics.